View Comments Jesse Tyler Ferguson Broadway alum Jesse Tyler Ferguson is on a mission to learn about his ancestors’ troubled history. On an upcoming episode of the TLC series Who Do You Think You Are?, the Modern Family star goes on a journey in search of his family’s past that brings him to the Alaskan Klondike, where his great grandfather led a fatal gold rush. In the clip below, Ferguson reads an account of the miserable conditions during that frigid expedition. Check out the sneak peek featuring the five-time Emmy nominee, and get the full unsettling story on July 30 on TLC. Star Files
By Dialogo August 13, 2013 This type of vehicle was made in Brazil and we know best how to maintain them. That kind of knowledge is nowhere else to find. Our mechanics understood right away what the problems were,” Brait said. “Suriname’s army has many Brazilian-manufactured vehicles including jeeps, trucks and buses for personnel transport and civil operations,” he said, adding that repairing the vehicles was easy, but transporting them back and forth was a challenge. “The only way to get them to Brazil and back to Suriname was on the same ship that we use for logistical support to our troops that take part in the United Nations Stabilization Mission for Haiti (MINUSTAH). Partnership extends to border security The Urutus were handed over at a June 10 ceremony at the Memre Buku army headquarters in Paramaribo. During the event, Baumbach outlined the prospects for future bilateral military cooperation. “The partnership between our countries is based on our geographic proximity, but also because our defense organizations should be able to tackle modern-day issues like human trafficking in cooperation,” the ambassador said. Brait said that in addition to security matters, two Brazilian sports advisers are now attached to Suriname’s Defense Ministry. “We are assisting Suriname with its first Staff Officers’ Course for Captains,” he said. “The results are very good. I have been attaché here for two years and I have personally witnessed a lot of advancement [in bilateral relations]. Brazil and Suriname also cooperate in border security matters. Suriname recently dispatched soldiers to its southern border, to complement efforts by Brazilian authorities to boost safety in the region. In July, Brazil’s Ministry of Defense sent 25,000 soldiers to patrol the country’s borders in an unprecedented military operation. PARAMARIBO — Suriname has received two Urutu armored vehicles that had been sent to neighboring Brazil for repairs, as part of a bilateral defense cooperation agreement that took effect in 2012. “They’re as good as new,” said Surinamese Defense Minister Lamure Latour. The Brazilian-made vehicles underwent a total overhaul under the supervision of the Brazilian Army. Two more armored vehicles, known as Cascavels, are still in Brazil and wil be returned to Suriname by November. “This was the first project under that agreement,” said Lt. Colonel Angelo Brait Júnior, Brazil’s military attaché in Paramaribo, Suriname’s capital. “The Urutus and Cascavels were in a bad state of disrepair and needed urgent attention.” The four tanks were part of a large cache of army material Suriname bought from Brazil in the early 1980s. The pride of the army, these tactical army vehicles played a strategic role in the so-called Interior War that raged in the country’s inlands, but in recent years their condition deteriorated to the point where they sat immobile at the army barracks. Surinamese army mechanics to train in Brazil In Brazil, these vehicles got a second shot at life. Repairs focused on the interior, the engines and the armaments. Operation Ágata 7, as the mission is known, focuses on cross-border crimes like drug and weapons trafficking, smuggling, illegal immigration, illegal mining and human smuggling. National security official Gerold Dompig told the press that Surinamese authorities have been keeping a close watch on the border as well. “We sent men to the border because criminals might decide to cross over from Brazil, seeing that the Brazilian army is making it too hot for them,” he said. Effort is part of general military overhaul National Security Director Melvin Linscheer said Suriname is deploying its Border Management System, a $2.5 million project that was commissioned last year to register, identify and track incoming and departing travelers. Brait said the further progress will be discussed in late August when Suriname hosts the first bilateral meeting between the two countries’ defense ministers. The overhaul of the armored vehicles comes as Suriname boosts its armed forces in general. The government recently announced it would spend $2.4 million on armored vehicles for the nation’s army, police, customs and intelligence departments. In July, Suriname took delivery of three fast boats for its Coast Guard unit now being set up to fight maritime crime. Soldiers were transferred from the Navy to form the initial Coast Guard staff, while a permanent crew undergoes training. Why donÂ´t you buy new vehicles? read more
ILOILO City –After his initial reluctance to the unimpeded return of Ilonggo overseasFilipino workers (OFWs) stranded in Metro Manila, Cebu and elsewhere, MayorJerry Treñas announced yesterday a plan to fetch them – and using a privateairplane. * OFWs shallundergo RT PCR test prior to departure from their immediate point ofentry. Only those whose results are negative will be allowed to depart andaccepted in Region 6. Only Department of Health (DOH)-approved tests shallbe accepted as valid results. OFWs whose testresults are positive would undergo confirmatory tests. The mayorannounced the plan amid criticisms of his being unfair to the OFWs for allowing the return here from Metro Manila of a close associate’sdaughter who turned out positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causesCOVID-19. According tothe mayor, he learned that the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)does not have available test kits. Upon theirreturn, the OFWs would be tested for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) usingrapid test kits, he said. * OFWs shallsubmit their COVID-19 real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test resultsfrom their country of origin should it be available. At present, hesaid, the city government has 1,500 rapid test kits. “So I wasterribly mad at OWWA. Waay nagsunod sangprotocol. I told them ‘Yudiputa’ kamo.Indi na ‘ya pwede matabo,’” said Treñas then. “The OFWs should have beentested before going home. We could have saved our frontliners and the rest oftheir fellow passengers from the risk of infection.” On the secondweek of April OWWA shipped to Iloilo City some 40 OFWs stranded in Cebu. Oneeventually tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. The OFWs, upontheir return, would also be quarantined for 14 days in three quarantinefacilities here – St. Therese-MTCC Hospital, Diamond Jubilee Hall, andUniversity of Iloilo-PHINMA. Before carrying out his plan,according to Treñas, thenumber of stranded Ilonggo OFWs must first be ascertained so that the citygovernment could procure the needed rapid test kits. Criticsrecalled these statements of Treñas following his decision to allow the return here from Metro Manila of his close associate’s daughterwho turned out positive for SARS-CoV-2. * OFWs arerequired to undergo 14-day quarantine and must be asymptomatic prior todeparture from their immediate point of entry./PN On April 13,the mayor blasted OWWA: “The OFWs should have been tested before going home. Wecould have saved our frontliners and the rest of their fellow passengers fromthe risk of infection.” In ResolutionNo. 12, the task force listed the following conditions that returning OFWs mustmeet “to ensure the general welfare of the repatriates and the safety ofresidents in Region 6”: These threequarantine sites have a combined 300 beds, said Treñas. Treñas’ newplan is a complete turnaround from his previous stance that Ilonggo OFWs mustfirst be tested in their place of origin and must be certified as free fromCOVID-19 before returning to Iloilo. Last week,members of the Western Visayas Regional Task Force (RTF) on COVID-19 drew upprotocols on returning OFWs. read more
JCD hosted a track meet on 4-16 with Trinity Lutheran and Southwestern Hanover. The ladies final score JCD 59.5 – Trinity Lutheran 51.5 and SW Hanover 43. The mens final score Trinity Lutheran 74, SW Hanover 44 and JCD 34.Scoring for the Eagles.Kelsey Bowling 1st 100H -16.6, 1st 300H- 51.1, 2nd L J 14’11”Whitney Winters 4th 100D -14.4, 200D – :30.7,Jenna Hughes 2nd 1600M – 6:29, 2nd 400D- 1:08.9, 3rd HJ – 4’7″Shianna Bellingham 3rd 1600M- 6:37, 3rd 3200 – 14.25Abby Wagner 4th 400D- 1:18.4,Kayla Bowling 2nd 800M – 2:59,Rosie Newhart 1st Shot- 32’10”, 1st Disc 92’11”Alex Tornstand 2nd Shot 26’11”, 4th Disc 53’9″Sasha Wagner 4th HJ – 4’6″1st 4×800 – 12:48 = A Wagner, Kay Bowling, A Smith, S Bellingham2nd 4×100 – 58.4 = R Newhart, Kay Bowling, A Wagner, W Winters1st 4×400 – 4:41 = K Bowling, S Wagner, K Bowling, J Hughes.Thiago Kapps 2nd 110H -:18.4, 1st 300H – :47.0,Eli Wagner 4th 100D – :12.8, 1st LJ 17’4″,Micheal Schmitt 3rd 400D – 1:04.4,Chris Kissel 2nd 800M – 2:23.3,Queintin Comer 4th 200D – 26.8, 4th LJ 14’6″,Rodney Dobbs 3rd 3200 – 12:30.9, 2nd Shot – 35’7″,4×100 2nd – :51.4 – C Douglas, M Schmitt, E Wagner, T Kapps4×400 1st – 4:01 – T Kapps, C Kissel, E Wagner, Q Comer.Courtesy of Eagles Coach Larry Hammond. read more
Sunderland have been linked with a move for PSV Eindhoven’s Holland Under-21 international Jeoren Zoet, but Westwood’s experience has put him at the head of the queue as new manager Paolo Di Canio overhauls his squad. The former Coventry keeper will return with more than most to prove, but everything to gain after spending every second of the Italian’s eight games to date sitting impotently on the bench. However, goalkeeping coach Domenico Doardo has had a chance to see what he can do in training, and the club’s fans are well aware of his ability after seeing him put together a run of eight successive starts the season before last with his run only ending because of a bout of illness. Westwood’s misfortune on Wearside did not initially affect him at international level, where he was chosen as the natural successor to Shay Given. He started the August friendly in Serbia and the World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan, Germany and the Faroe Islands before Trapattoni decided he needed his first-choice goalkeeper to be playing regularly. As a result, Millwall’s David Forde got the nod for November’s friendly against Greece and has started six of the seven games since with Westwood earning a rare opportunity in the 4-0 friendly victory over Georgia on June 2. It was after that appearance that he admitted he may have to look for another club. He said: “I love it at Sunderland, but if I’m not going to play… It’s a tough decision, but I need to play football, I think that’s evident in itself.” However, he was prescient too as he considered his options. He said: “A lot of stuff can happen over the off-season. Basically, I just want to play football. I’m looking forward to the future, if I’m honest. It’s been a frustrating 12 months or so, so I’m looking to come out of the dark times and into some good ones.” Keiren Westwood will begin pre-season training determined to re-establish himself as number one for both Sunderland and the Republic of Ireland. The 28-year-old keeper endured a miserable 2012-13 campaign as his lack of club action – he made just three appearances for the Black Cats, all of them in the Capital One Cup – cost him his place in Giovanni Trapattoni’s starting XI. Westwood admitted earlier this month that he might have to leave the Stadium of Light to play regular football, although Simon Mignolet’s impending move to Liverpool looks to have opened the door once again. Press Association read more
And, having scored his only other international goal from a Lafferty assist against Portugal, he is keen to link up with the Norwich man again. “I really enjoy the partnership I have with Kyle. He is a massive player for us and he can make chances out of nothing,” said the Aberdeen forward. “I know I have to get close to him to pick up the ball but I find it enjoyable – especially in Budapest. “Kyle is a talented boy and he knows he will be vital for us in this campaign. “It is a hard shift for him at times, playing up front on his own, but he really takes the pressure off the rest of the lads. “And when he wins things, it can give the likes of me a chance to get in behind teams to punish them. “I was delighted to get on in Hungary and help the team come from behind to win. “Scoring the equaliser and then setting up Kyle for the winner was special.” Niall McGinn believes Northern Ireland can continue to benefit from his understanding with striker Kyle Lafferty. Press Association Another of Northern Ireland’s standout performers in Hungary was Conor McLauglin, with the Fleetwood player turning in an assured display on his first competitive outing. He is joined in the current squad by younger brother Ryan, who also plays right-back and is vying with his sibling for the jersey. It might be unusual for the pair to be going head to head for the same shirt but Conor insists the rivalry is a friendly one. “I can’t say I’m ahead of Ryan in the pecking order because it can change at any time,” he said. “We’re sort of competing for the same position, although Ryan can play in other positions. I have to keep performing or I won’t stay in the team. “We both rib each other about it, Ryan’s a lively lad to say the least. “But it’s a very proud thing for my mum and dad and both of us settled in very well and we both give each other a lot of support.” The pair dovetailed to decisive effect in the closing stages of the Euro 2016 opener in Hungary last month, setting each other up to turn a 1-0 deficit into a dramatic 2-1 victory in the last 10 minutes. McGinn had to wait for his chance in Budapest, coming off the bench as a second-half substitute, but did more than enough to earn a start when the Faroe Islands visit Windsor Park on Saturday. read more
Tags: F-Mgirls soccer When the Fayetteville-Manlius girls soccer team stormed its way to the Section III Class AA championship a season ago, it marked the end of a 22-year quest to get back to the top, and caught many by surprise.But when the Hornets repeated as sectional champions Saturday by defeating West Genesee 3-0 at Liverpool High School Stadium, it was far less surprising – but still quite satisfying.Unlike last year’s rain-soaked final where it knocked off favored Baldwinsville, F-M got to bask in sunshine at game’s end as players received the championship medals and again claimed the sectional banner, the product of an impressive 17-1 campaign where an already good team reached a new level. Ostrander said that the game plan here against WG was the same as those first two occasions.“We played our same game, but capitalized on our chances,” he said.Patient throughout most of the first half, F-M mostly probed against a senior-heavy Wildcats defense, and had some good chances, only to get turned back by fine stops from WG goalkeeper Liz Croft.Finally, in the 32nd minute the Hornets put something together that no defender could stop. Terrific passes from Hartzheim and eighth-grader Morgan Goodman set up Hannah Knych for a one-timed low shot that found the net.F-M ably protected that one-goal lead deep into the second half, its back line of Haley Ingram, Laura Bonomo, Ryann Dauksza and Alora Miller never letting WG’s forwards find much space whenever they had the ball.Fittingly, it was Hartzheim offering a decisive blow with 12:39 left. Lined up for a free kick in the middle of the field, Hartzheim noticed that WG’s second goalie, Caitlin Mills, was at the right side of the net behind her wall of defenders, so she shot left – and drilled it home.“Anna steps up for us all the time,” said Ostrander.Lauren Clark added a third goal with 3:02 left, and F-M could now look forward to a second consecutive venture into the state Class AA tournament.In many ways, the pivotal moment of the sectional tournament came in last Wednesday’s semifinals at Central Square, where F-M saw no. 2 seed Baldwinsville, the only team to beat the Hornets this season, upended 2-0 by West Genesee.F-M faced the same challenge as the Bees, in that it had not played a game in a while – 11 days, to be precise. But though B’ville faltered, the Hornets did not, quickly going in front of no. 4 seed Cicero-North Syracuse and defeating the Northstars 3-1.Hartzheim and Knych would get F-M going, Hartzheim taking a pass from Clark and scoring less than four minutes into the game. Then Knych made it 2-0 before the midway point of the first half.Early in the second half, F-M got a further cushion when Knych, from 20 yards out, ripped a hard shot past C-NS goalie Avery Byrnes. The only goal was allowed when Sydney Mahr, whistled for a yellow card, had to leave the game and Ashley Evans’ free kick eluded Ingram.That proved the only goal the Hornets allowed in the sectional tournament, and now F-M goes after much more as next Saturday it will battle Section II champion Bethlehem in the regional final at Mechanicville. It’s a rematch of 2018, where the Eagles prevailed 2-0 to reach the state final four.One big difference for the Hornets this year, said Ostrander, is that it is far from content with what it has already accomplished.“The players see the sectional title as just a stepping stone,” he said. “Now, we want to go get a state title.”Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story “It took a while to develop, but they believe in this program and care about themselves,” said Hornets head coach Brent Ostrander, who added that his players see each other as friends for life beyond the soccer field.Senior Anna Hartzheim said the pride in winning this sectional title was different than a season ago because the expectations were so much higher, but that no matter what, “two in a row is very special.”For sure, F-M did not take things for granted after West Genesee knocked off no. 2 seed B’ville 2-0 in last Wednesday’s semifinals. The Hornets remembered how the Wildcats had battled them hard in 2-1 and 1-0 decisions during the regular season. read more
Tipp beat Offaly 2-17 to 1-15 in a challenge played at the J.K. Brackens GAA Field in Templemore.The Premier County’s goals were scored by Patrick ‘Bonner’ Maher and Adrian Ryan in the first-half.The manager told Tipp FM Sport after the game that he was very pleased with the effort the players put in today.
Photo: © pixabay Seven-time champion Roger Federer’s into the last 16 of Wimbledon after an easy win over Mischa Zverev on Centre Court last evening.Novak Djokovic was just as impressive against Ernests Gulbis in the match directly beforehand.World number one Angelique Kerber survived a scare, coming from a set down to beat Shelby Rogers.