A Recht-door-Zee house on the West Bank of Demerara (WBD) was saved from destruction on Monday following swift response from neighbours and firefighters of the Guyana Fire Service.According to an occupant of the one-storey home (name withheld), he received a call from one of his neighbours at about 10:00h, informing that smoke was seen emanating from the building. At that time no one was home.Some of the damage that were caused by the fireResidents of the area summoned the Guyana Fire Service, which arrived promptly. In that time, a bucket brigade was also formed to tackle the blaze and prevent it from extending to other sections of the house.“I got the call and rushed to come home; and when I came, I saw the fire brigade was here,” he stated.When Guyana Times visited the scene, a window in front of the house had already been broken to facilitate firemen entry into the building.Upon examination of the home, only one bedroom of the house had been damaged. The owner of the house related that damages were caused to the door, ceiling, carpets and curtains.“I have to replace the door. The ceiling was scorched, so that, too. And I have to repaint the walls,” the owner explained.Meanwhile, he acknowledged the quick response from the Fire Service, and neighbours who prevented any major destruction to his home.While the cause of the fire is still to be determined, Guyana Times was told that it might have been caused by an electrical malfunction from a fan which was left on in the building. A report was filed, and investigations are currently ongoing.
Over 40% of inmates never had legal representation – report
NGSA concludes today