Courtesy Bill JacobsonBy MARK OSBORNE, ABC News(NEW YORK) — The 75-year-old protester who was pushed to the ground by police officers in Buffalo, New York, has been released from the hospital almost four weeks after being injured.Martin Gugino was attending a protest outside City Hall on June 4 when he was pushed to the ground by a line of police officers clearing out the relatively empty area. He fell and hit the back of his head, fracturing his skull and putting him in the hospital for 26 days. He was released Tuesday from the Erie County Medical Center, his attorney said. His lawyer, Kelly Zarcone, said he will be recovering at an “undisclosed location” to preserve his privacy.“I was able to see Martin today and he looks great. He can walk with a little help and his condition will continue to improve with rest and time,” Zarcone said in a statement. “I brought him the cards and letters sent to my office and he said he still felt overjoyed at the continued support and well wishes, ‘like it was Christmas Day.’”Gugino is an activist and regular at protests in New York state, his friends said, but has never been anything but peaceful and is a regular volunteer for Catholic charities.“Martin said that he is pleased at the progress made so far to protect the safety of peaceful protesters, a topic near and dear to his heart,” Zarcone said Tuesday. “He respects the burden of authority placed upon law enforcement but looks forward to the continued implementation of systemic changes to eliminate police brutality.”Officers Aaron Torgalski and Robert McCabe were charged earlier this month with second-degree assault in the incident and released on their own recognizance. They both pleaded not guilty and are expected back in court July 20.In a statement prior to the arrests, Buffalo police had said Gugino tripped and fell despite the video evidence.The incident rose as high as the White House. President Donald Trump tweeted a conspiracy theory on June 9, writing Gugino may be an “ANTIFA provocateur” and that the whole incident could be part of a “set up.”At the time, Zarcone called the president’s accusations “dark, dangerous, and untrue.”New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo mocked Trump’s theory, asking, “What do you think, it was staged? You think that the blood coming out of his head was staged? Is that what you are saying?” Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. read more
“These grants represent another way in which vital support is being provided to unemployed workers and their families including auto workers,” added Dr. Ed Montgomery, executive director of the White House Council on Automotive Communities and Workers. “By taking advantage of the resources available in the REA initiative, the workers will be able to find good jobs that match their skills.” For more information on unemployment insurance, and the range of Department of Labor training and employment programs, visit http://www.doleta.gov(link is external). “Unemployment insurance is a centerpiece of the social safety net, but it is only part of a process designed to help get workers back into good jobs,” said Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis. “By expanding training and employment services, these grants will help prepare workers for employment in thriving regional industries, and give them a better opportunity to provide for their families.” Today’s funding will allow staff at one-stop career centers to conduct in-person assessments with individuals who are receiving unemployment compensation. These assessments are used to determine which services and/or training are appropriate for each worker. Each worker also develops an individual work-search plan and is provided with labor market information that allows for a more focused job search. Editor’s note: A list of grantees follows this news release. 2009 REA GRANTS STATE GRANT AMOUNTS ARIZONA* $391,701 CALIFORNIA* $3,180,000 FLORIDA $3,078,796 HAWAII $521,860 IOWA* $819,089 IDAHO $51,780 INDIANA $492,000 KANSAS* $425,492 MARYLAND* $1,019,462 MISSOURI* $591,908 MISSISSIPPI* $1,473,459 MONTANA* $656,750 NORTH CAROLINA* $1,878,255 NEBRASKA* $474,487 NEW JERSEY $144,158 NEVADA $496,400 NEW YORK $3,892,177 OHIO $2,746,970 OREGON* $461,222 PUERTO RICO* $408,450 SOUTH CAROLINA $33,600 TENNESSEE* $980,094 VERMONT* $688,156 WEST VIRGINIA* $231,678 WISCONSIN* $1,333,892 TOTALS $26,471,836 * NEW REA STATES U.S. Department of Labor releases are accessible on the Internet at http://www.dol.gov(link is external). The information in this news release will be made available in alternate format (large print, Braille, audio tape or disc) from the COAST office upon request. Please specify which news release when placing your request at 202-693-7828 or TTY 202-693-7755. The Labor Department is committed to providing America’s employers and employees with easy access to understandable information on how to comply with its laws and regulations. For more information, please visithttp://www.dol.gov/compliance(link is external). WASHINGTON, July 30, 2009 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The U.S. Department of Labor today announced grants totaling $26.5 million to 25 states to implement or enhance the Re-employment and Eligibility Assessment (REA) Initiative for unemployment insurance (UI) recipients. Vermont will get $688,156. This funding will allow 16 new states to implement the REA Initiative, with the remaining nine using funds to expand or improve current programs. read more
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The Sonoma County Water Agency (SCWA) has secured $1.89 million in state grant funding for a flood management project in Petaluma that will provide flood protection, remove sediment, create wetland habitat and protect open space.The Water Agency announced this week that an agreement was reached with the state Department of Water Resources for the $1.89 million to be allocated to the Petaluma River Flood Management & Enhancement Project.“This very worthy project will continue the flood management efforts that have been under way along the Petaluma River for many years,” said Water Agency Board Member, David Rabbitt, whose 2nd District Supervisorial district includes Petaluma.“We continue to improve on the efforts to reduce the threat to lives and property from flooding. This project includes not only flood protection, but incorporates environmental benefits into our vision of better managing floodwaters.”Flood management work on the Petaluma River will occur in the Denman Reach, where a 5.47-acre flood-prone parcel will be acquired to provide flood water storage, enough to store 9.3 acre feet of water.In addition, there will be an 8,000 cubic yard sediment-plug removed from the Petaluma River near the Corona Road bridge, which will restore the river’s flow-carrying capacity in that area.The planning, design and environmental permitting for the entire project is expected to be completed in July, 2018, with construction completed by 2020.[mappress mapid=”24193″] read more
Junior forward Tim Jarmusz\’ internet opponents mock his 2.7 points per game while ignoring UW\’s No. 17 ranking.[/media-credit]Despite the Wisconsin basketball team’s 20-7 record, marquee victories over Duke, Purdue and Michigan State and a No. 17 ranking in the AP poll, the Internet minions following the Badgers have been dissatisfied this season.So who is the most common target of those brave, anonymous posters who grace the comment sections of The Journal Sentinel and Wisconsin State Journal newspapers and relentlessly attack Badgerblitz.com’s and Badgernation.com’s message boards? Who has left them so despondent in a season where the Badgers were predicted by most media members to miss out on the NCAA Tournament?Starting junior forward Tim Jarmusz.Though it may be unwise to shine a light on those who hide behind a vapid username, here is a sample of the message board fodder after Wisconsin beat Northwestern 70-63 last Sunday.‘Have all five tools’ wrote on JSOnline’s Badger Blog: “Simply put, if Jarmusz is getting destroyed on defense he has no reason to play. He flat out gets in the way on offense. I wonder if he has ever held the ball longer than three seconds on the offensive end. He gets it, panics, passes and runs away.”‘Badger 8843’ wrote on Badgernation.com: “We all know TJ brings nothing good to the table no need to keep talking about it, JL better start for him soon and have the three-guard lineup, I’m sick of seeing TJ out there and making one three out of every 10 attempts, getting really old to watch.”‘MDBadger’ wrote on Madison.com, “Jarmusz is horrid. He offers nothing. How is he a glue guy? I don’t see him diving on the floorm [sic] rebounding or playing any defense. He was abused all game long and most games this season.”When asked about Jarmusz Tuesday, associate head coach Greg Gard flared up at the mere mention of anonymous message boards.“There is nothing on there but garbage anyway,” Gard said. “Hopefully [the players] don’t even know they exist. Just steer clear of that garbage… it’s anonymous and there is no accountability with any of it. It is just garbage on there any way.“It is always easy to sit behind a computer screen and hide behind that.”Senior guard Jason Bohannon added the team knows the only opinions that matter come from teammates and the coaching staff.While players are not explicitly told to avoid message boards, he believes most instinctively do.“Looking at those message boards, maybe you lose your confidence a little bit or something like that,” Bohannon said.For his part, Jarmusz claimed to have no idea what was written about him online.The message boards’ caseWhen tamed down, the argument made by anonymous posters can generally be posed as such: Jarmusz has become a liability on the offensive end, and his defense is not strong enough to merit a starting role on the team.For the season, Jarmusz is averaging 2.7 points per game, shooting 30 percent from the field and pulling down 3.4 rebounds per game — stats he is well aware of without anyone else pointing them out.“It is tough,” he said of his season shooting woes. “No one wants to be in a slump like this. You just have to keep shooting, gain your confidence back, and hopefully shots will start falling.”The responseThough Jarmusz’s shooting struggles are impossible to deny, Gard smirked at the notion that he hasn’t played a valuable role this season.Besides being virtually turnover free, Jarmusz has contributed to a defense holding opponents to a Big Ten best 57.1 points per game.“Usually it is the people who haven’t played [basketball] who don’t understand,” Gard said.“It is not one individual player, and that is where people who don’t understand the game don’t see that stuff. It is not one-on-one. It is our group of five out there collectively, that is always the strength of our defense… anyone can get beat one on one out on an island, so you need five guys to play together.”For the rest of the season, the cycle is likely to repeat itself.Jarmusz will finish a game with poor shooting, Internet hounds will attack and the team will continue to ignore it — usually en route to a victory no less.According to Bohannon, Jarmusz has kept a strong attitude despite all the criticisms and struggles.“The main thing is that he continues to help this be a winning team,” Gard said. He has done that. Obviously he wouldn’t be on the floor if we didn’t think he was making a positive contribution.” read more